United Nations World Tourism Organization announced the 3rd Gastronomy Tourism Startup Competition. The UNWTO welcomes new ideas that maximize the benefits of this kind of tourism in order to aid community development, cultural awareness and diversification of tourism products, and above all to accelerate gastronomy tourism initiatives to achieve the SDGs.
Transforming Gastronomy Tourism through Innovation
Following the success of previous editions, UNWTO in collaboration with Basque Culinary Center launches the 3rd Global Competition for Gastronomy Tourism Startups. "Our Mission is to identify challenges and projects, and catalyzing innovations that can transform the Gastronomy Tourism sector in the near future." the organization releases the mission statement along with the details of the contest on their website.
The undoubted influence of gastronomy in travel and the growing demand for gastronomic tourism have made this area one of the segments with the greatest development opportunities attracting growing interest on the part of governments. Food tourism has become one of the most dynamic and creative segments of tourism and, at the same time, has naturally positioned itself as an element of diversification of tourism with a high impact on the promotion of sustainable development at the regional and local levels.
Here are details of the competition:
Who can participate?
New Technologies Startups that are developing and promoting a startup with a high technological component to provide solutions or new services related to the Gastronomic Tourism sector.
Local Impact Startups that are developing and promoting a project with a high component of transformation and social improvement in its area of implementation and that are attached to the Gastronomic Tourism sector.
Sustainability and Waste startups that are developing and promoting a project with a high component of sustainability and/or food waste management related to the impact generated by tourists
Benefits to winners
- Mentoring by UNWTO and top partners
- Tailored support for your startup
- Investment opportunities
- Form part of the UNWTO Innovation Network
- Scholarship opportunities for the Tourism Online Academy
- Opportunity to present your startup at the 7th UNWTO Gastronomy Tourism Forum (Nara, Japan June 2022)
- Use of a space in the LABe- Digital Gastronomy Lab facilities for 6 months.
- Participate as a finalist company in the corresponding edition of Culinary Action! - On the road, the first foodtech startup competition in roadshow format.
- Advanced Plan of the GOe Digital Community for 6 months, which is the first digital community within the 360º gastronomy sector.
Deadline for applications is 28 February, 2022. Startups will be announced on the online platform on April 1, 2020. In May the winners will be announced. For more details, click here.